More Nigerians are opting for self-employment and spending more time online, becoming digital enterepreneurs. How would you find your feet and win?
I ran some polls late last year, and re-ran the polls again recently to research public opinions. I got amazing and similar responses. Some results were expected. Nigerians are starting to lean towards self-employment more than being employed by someone else. Another trend is that Nigerians are purchasing locally made products more, and they also want to start an online business. At least 82% say they purchased a localy made product in the last 90 days.My questions are boldened and responses from the public are italized.
How would your life look after graduation?
More than half, 56% are starting their own business. 41% would be searching for a job, and 3% are thinking of heading to the altar.
How long do Nigerians spend on Social Media
38% are spending between 0 to 7 hours, 31% spend between 7 to 14 hours and 31% spend around 14hour + on social media
Would you rather own a business or work for someone?
Majority of Nigerians, 80% want to own their own business
Here are opportunities you could tap even in times when it looks like it's getting flooded online. A lot of Nigerians are spending more time online, and they prefer to start their own businesses online too. Whatever your dreams are, now is the right time to channel your efforts online. There are so many opportunities online, the only problem is that creativity is underused. People want to join the bandwagon, without thinking of coming out uniquely and differentiated. The problem with this is that they ignore other avenues to make money. There's no limit to how you can make money online, you just have to find your passion and purpose, then carve a niche out of it. Below are some ways people make money online:
- Start Now - You need to take a look to study different social media platforms as it relates to your person/brands before choosing the channels you will work on. You also need a website, this can come later, after making friends/followers who would eventually become your clients/customers/fans. Next step asfter this is to find a passion to pursue, if you can't think of one, read the next few points to give you an idea.
- Become a marketplace seller - You can sell your products or a locally sourced product on Amazon, eBay and other marketplaces.
- Freelance Writer: There is huge demand for writers online. People get paid starting from $5 and up to write a single piece of contents. Upwork, fiverr, indeed, monster are great places where you could find a writing job online.
- Digital Marketing - You can help brands with SEO, social media marketing, content marketing, or takeover company social media handles in exchange for cash.
- Affiliate Marketing - You can become an affiliate with any online advertiser and promote their product. Whenever people buy from the advertiser's website, you get a commission
- Teach online - Academic institutions continue are now integrating distance learning a part of their long-term strategies, they need online teachers, curriculum designers and that's where you can come in. You also can give homework help, help students learn online by setting up your own private practice online or signing up as a tutor with companies like Chegg, Skooli and so on. You can also write your own e-book and sell online to people looking to learn from a subject of interest if you have that expertise.
- Blog/Vlog - Writing about topics you love or making youtube videos an earn you money from advertisers.
There are more ways than listed above to earn income online, those are a few that came to mind. If you dont find your passion and purpose in any of these listed above, you can create your own way of making money online yourself, and others would follow your lead. Your Key Takeaways
- People are spending more time online, so there are higher chances they would engage more with products and services from brands. That's one of the reasons you want your brand discovered online too.
- Also, locally made products are selling more. If you're very good with crafting, you could find a niche and get your products out and have people buy from you online. You can also look for products that are complimentary to your products to sell to people. For instance, If you're good at sewing, you could target furniture makers online to sell bedding sheets and pillow cases to their customers online.
- Be very aware there will be more competition in the times ahead, but you'll soar high when you are well-differentiated.
- You would stay ahead by learning more about your field too - read books, learn business skills by reading business articles or joining business groups and attending events.
- Long gone are the days when only the business students needed marketing. In this digital times, everyone needs marketing skills online to succeed.
Here's an article I wrote about the Anastasia Makeup Brand
and how she leveraged her friendships with social influencers to turn her company into a big time multi-dollar business.
If you have questions, drop some comments below or email email@example.com